TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) – The family of an 11-year-old Massachusetts girl who choked on a marshmallow at a friend’s birthday party and died has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit.
The lawsuit was filed Monday and seeks unspecified monetary damages in the April death of Azriel Estabrooks, who lived in Somerset.
The complaint alleges the parents who hosted the birthday party failed to provide adequate supervision for the children who attended it. A lawyer for the hosts hasn’t returned a call seeking comment.
The lawsuit says Azriel had been without oxygen for “an extended period of time” when she was found unconscious on the floor. She died several days later.
An attorney for her parents says there are many unanswered questions about the circumstances leading to her death.