DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A reported gas leak forced evacuations in a Dayton neighborhood.
Dayton Fire and Vectren were called to the 200 block of Bellaire Avenue around 9:35 a.m. Tuesday.
The gas leak was controlled around 1100 a.m. People were allowed back into their house a few minutes after crews stopped the leak.
Plumbers in the area were working on a water line and began digging to do their work. Fire Officials tell 2 NEWS they believe the ground may have been mismarked and when plumbers started digging they hit a gas main by mistake.
Vectren is still on the scene and say they will be for quite some time making repairs.
The intersection of Bellaire Avenue and Lansing 2News crews on the scene say the street is blocked while they work to contain the leak. A homeowner told 2 NEWS she and her family were sitting on the front porch when they saw and heard a gas line blow in front of their house. They said they got their dogs and left the area.
The fire department advises anyone southwest of Bellaire that smells gas to open their windows.