ST. LOUIS, Missouri – Scoochie Smith, playing in his 100th career game, led the No. 22 Dayton Flyers with 16 points and seven rebounds in a 52-49 overtime victory over the Saint Louis Billikens.
Kyle Davis enjoyed a big performance with 13 points on 5-of-10 shooting from the floor to go with six rebounds. Dyshawn Pierre added seven points and 11 boards.
Dayton improved to 22-5 and 12-3 in the Atlantic 10.
- Dayton trailed 8-0 to start the game and it wasn’t until a Bobby Wehrli tip in at the 6:05 mark before the Flyers got their first lead of the contest at 13-12.
- Saint Louis at one point shot 2-of-17 from the field as Dayton went on a 9-0 run.
- However, the Flyers trailed at the half 19-14 after shooting 6-of-25 (24 percent) from the floor and 1-of-10 from three point range.
- Saint Louis went on an 8-0 run and extended their lead to 33-24 with 12:13 to play.
- The Flyers trailed 45-43 with 3:45 to play.
- Smith tied the game at 46-46 with a layup at the 36 second mark.
- The Flyers made a defensive stop on the other end to force overtime. It held SLU without a field goal in the final 7:22 of regulation.
- In overtime, Kyle Davis sank a three to push the Dayton advantage to 49-46 with 3:29 remaining.
- Each team traded one free throw and the Flyers had a 50-47 lead with 1:39 left.
- The Flyers iced it after a pair of free throws by Smith in the final seconds.
- Dayton held Saint Louis without a field goal for 12:22 of the end of second half and overtime.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The 52 points were the fewest ever for a Flyer team in the modern era to get an overtime victory. It was the fewest since UD defeated Toledo in overtime 31-28 during the 1933-34 season.
- The Flyers are 33-1 when limiting opponents to 60 points or less in the last three seasons, including an 8-0 mark this year.
- Dayton scored a season-low 14 points in the first half, tied for the second-fewest in school history. The record is 13 points at Temple on Feb. 24, 2010.
- UD also committed a season-high 12 first half turnovers.
- Smith scored in double figures for the sixth consecutive game.
- Pierre has registered double figures in rebounds in three straight contests.
- Wehrli totaled career-highs in minutes (26) and rebounds (six).
- Dayton is 2-0 in overtime games this season. The Flyers previously defeated Arkansas, 85-81, on Dec. 30.
- The Flyers are now 7-2 on the road. The seven road victories match the highest total in the Archie Miller era.
Dayton returns home to host the Rhode Island Rams on Saturday, Feb. 27 at noon ET.