DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Republican lawmakers have chosen former state Supreme Court justice and current Rep. Bob Cupp to lead the Ohio House, replacing the speaker ousted amid a scandal.
Thaddeus Hoffmeister, a professor of law at the University of Dayton, joined 2 NEWS to talk about the unfolding state bribery investigation involving Larry Householder.
“[Cupp’s] prior work in the Supreme Court not only illustrates his ability not only to really understand the law, but also many times when you look at a judge, you’re looking at someone who can be impartial, neutral, and he gives that sort of respectability that really they need at this point, so I think he was the best pick that he had,” he said.
He said he hopes this scandal serves as a wake up call to discourage similar behavior at the Statehouse in the future.
- PICS: Train slams into 18-wheeler in Texas and splits trailer in half
- Auditor: Dayton Public Schools missing more than $16K from Welcome Stadium events
- US unemployment claims fall to a pandemic low of 498,000
- It’s happened again, people in southwest U.S. report strange lights in the sky
- CDC sets rules for cruise trial runs