I Love Dayton: ‘Medicine Man’ spreads joy at Dayton Children’s

I Love Dayton

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Behind the hard-working staff at Dayton Children’s Hospital, a “medicine man” is working his own magic. Longtime volunteer Richard Goodstein delivers a dose of joy to the hospital every Tuesday.

“My job is to make everybody smile, keep them happy,” Goodstein said. “The hospital is here to help children, but my job is also to help the staff and employees feel good about their day.”

Goodstein, 71, walks through every floor at the hospital and clinics in Vandalia, Troy and Huber Heights, passing out encouraging notes and Dove Promises chocolate to every hospital employee he sees.

“Since I don’t like to call it candy, we call it ‘antioxidants,'” he joked.

Hospital staff always look forward to the Tuesday visits.

“I love his ‘medicine’ and it can just brighten up somebody’s day – just a small gesture of chocolate and just him, himself,” said employee Diane Sanders.

Teri Schmidt added, “It spreads joy throughout the institution and makes us feel welcome.”

Goodstein said he hopes his visits help break through the stress and sadness that sometimes comes from working with seriously ill children.

“Too many people are sad and get so caught up in the things of the world… that if I get them to stop for just a minute to smile, it makes my day,” he said.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Fill out my online form.
9-4 donate dayton strong

Tragedy in Dayton Stories

More Oregon District Shooting

Latest Video on WDTN.com

More Latest Video

Only on WDTN.com | Phil Wiedenheft

More profile-65422

Trending Stories

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS