SAN DIEGO (KSWB) — More than 90% of SeaWorld’s current workforce has been furloughed as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the company said Friday.
In a nod to the role tourism plays in the company’s business, SeaWorld said it has been significantly impacted by the coronavirus as individuals around the globe are encouraged to stay home to prevent further spread of the virus.
“We have made the painful but necessary business decision to temporarily furlough over 90% of our current workforce, including corporate employees, to position the company for long-term viability,” SeaWorld said in a statement. “During this time, our focus is on resuming normal operations and welcoming back guests and Ambassadors as quickly as possible.”
In an update published on its website, SeaWorld said its animal experts will continue to look after animals in the company’s care.
- Watch Live: NASA collects sample of ancient asteroid for voyage back to Earth
- As Senate weighs COVID-19 relief, AP reports White House tried to control CDC pandemic messaging
- Wright State Police report 2 sexual assaults in 48 hours involving Tinder
- Time running out to reach COVID-19 relief deal before election
- Dayton cardiologist, heart health advocate dies at Cleveland Clinic