School officials say threats, gang fight at Meadowdale was isolated

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) -- Officials with Dayton Public Schools said it has made a change in policy after an incident at Meadowdale High School involving a bomb threat.

Four students were arrested last week after the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said a gang-related fight began during a bomb threat evacuation.

Sheriff Phil Plummer said the students caught on to the school's evacuation policy and made the threat in order to fight.

The district's Executive Director of Safety and Security said it was an isolated incident and likely will not be seen again.

"They've identified a lot of these kids and they're working toward those," said Jamie Bullens. "I think with the added security, we've put measures in place at the high school that we won't see too much more of that."

Due to security concerns, Bullens could not lay out the policy change. He did say, however, that the district is working with law enforcement to catch the people responsible for all of the district's bomb threats this year.

So far, 11 bomb threats have been made at Dayton Public Schools, including two more made Monday morning at Dunbar High School and Thurgood Marshall High School.

Anyone with information is asked to call the district or Crime Stoppers at 222-7867 to leave an anonymous tip.

More Stories

Meet the Team

Don't Miss

Latest News - Local

Video Center