DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) - A twelve week old sick puppy abandoned at the Humane Society of Greater Dayton needs your help.
Lucy is a German Shepherd. She was abandoned outside the shelter, suffering from the highly contagious disease known as parvo.
The shelter staff had to quickly isolate Lucy from the other dogs, then got her emergency vet care.
The humane society is a 'no kill' facility, so staff are doing everything they can to get Lucy healthy again.
"Although caring for Lucy was of the utmost importance to our staff, we wanted to make sure that at no point were any of our dogs at risk or in danger of contracting this highly contagious virus," said Brian Weltge, President and CEO of the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. "Our staff is trained to deal with situations like this and they followed all proper procedures to ensure the animals at our facility were safe at all times."
Lucy's care cost $6,000. The non-profit shelter survives on donations and is in need of money to keep helping Lucy.
Once the $6,000 is raised, any extra proceeds will go to the shelter's Rescue Fund to help other animals like Lucy get the care they need.
To donate to the Lucky Lucy fund, visit the Humane Society of Dayton's web site .
The parvo virus occurs most often in puppies. It attacks the gastrointestinal tract that leads to life threatening digestive problems.
It is treatable, but takes a long course of medications to beat.
Southbound traffic on Interstate 75 is moving slow because of an accident near Main Street.
When police and firefighters arrived, Moore said the victim, a grandfather living at the residence, was trying to go back inside the burning home.
Lawyers for a condemned Ohio inmate who raped and killed a pregnant woman say mercy is warranted because of the defendant's chaotic and abusive childhood and the failure of his original attorneys to work hard enough on his behalf.
A former high school teacher in southwest Ohio has been sentenced to two years in prison after being convicted on a sexual battery charge alleging that she had sex with a 16-year-old student.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A coroner concludes that dog bites caused internal injuries that led to the death of a 3-month-old central Ohio girl.