PIQUA, Ohio (WDTN) - Three people, including an infant, were taken to a local hospital after their home caught fire Friday morning.
Firefighters were summoned to the 500 block of Adams Street around 4:30 after a person delivering newspapers saw flames and called 911.
The neighbor next door told 2 NEWS the mother dropped the 1-year-old girl into his arms from a second floor window before she was rescued by firefighters.
"They were just screaming," neighbor Skip Ward said, "We were pleading with her to drop the baby."
"Her options were to jump or burn," Piqua Assistant Fire Chief Vince Ashcraft told 2 NEWS.
Ashcraft reports all three were taken to a local hospital for observation and are expected to be okay.
The Red Cross has been called to assist the family.
Local experts are discussing the impact of the life of South Africa's first black president.
Local school district leaders are watching the wintry weather closely.
The Mercer County Sheriff's Office is warning residents of what it calls a phishing scam.
Global civil rights icon Nelson Mandela, whose legacy is ending South African apartheid, has died.
A busy intersection re-opened late Thursday evening after a crash.