BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (WDTN) - A fire injured one person Friday after crews say the man went back inside the house to fight the flames himself.
Officials say the fire started at a home in the 2800 block of Vickie Drive because the couple inside was trying to dry a mattress with a space heater. The mattress fell onto the heater, sparking the flames.
Smoke detectors allowed the two people inside to escape along with their dog, but one of them suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns. He was taken to Miami Valely Hospital. Firefighters think the injuries were caused by the man trying to put out the flames.
Even though it's hard to stand and watch your house burn, firefighters say it's best to leave the hot work to them.
"The big thing is if you do go out, don't go back in," says Beavercreek Township Battalion Chief Greg Connors. "Stay outside. Let us do our job. Basically we come in with self-contained breathing apparatus. We can breathe air that they can't."
Fortunately, the fire station is only a mile down the road, so crews were at the house in just a couple of minutes. They contained the fire to the bedroom.
Time magazine selected Pope Francis as its Person of the Year on Wednesday, saying the Roman Catholic church's new leader has changed the perception of the church in an extraordinary way in a short time.
U.S. Senate and House negotiators are planning to provide as much as $90 million to keep the production line running at an Ohio tank manufacturing plant.
The recovery process from the foreclosure crisis has been slow, but there are signs of hope for neighborhoods in Montgomery County.
Riverside residents met with the Ohio EPA and Ohio Department of Health after concerns of toxic chemicals could be polluting their homes.
The Darke County Sheriff's Office was busy responding to several weather-related crashes Tuesday night. Deputies say many of the main roads are clear but most of the secondary streets are caked in ice and snow.