NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal judge presiding over litigation spawned by the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill has dismissed all claims against the manufacturer of a chemical dispersant that was used to break up crude gushing from BP's blown-out well.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier ruled last week that federal laws shield Illinois-based Nalco Co. from liability over the government's use of Corexit after the 2010 spill.
Nalco didn't decide whether, when, where, how or in what quantities Corexit would be used in response to the spill, Barbier noted. And the judge said it wouldn't be proper for him to second guess the federal on-scene coordinator's decision to use the dispersant.
Lawyers for cleanup workers and coastal residents exposed to the dispersant had argued Nalco isn't immune from claims it supplied a defective product that wasn't safe for use in the Gulf.
But the judge said the claims would create an "obstacle to federal law" if he allowed them to proceed.
More than 1.8 million gallons of dispersant were used in responding to the spill. It was last used four days after BP capped the well in June 2010.
A 2010 study by the Environmental Protection Agency found that Corexit, when mixed with oil, is no more toxic to aquatic life than oil alone. But congressional investigators have claimed the U.S. Coast Guard defied a federal directive to use the chemical sparingly and routinely approved BP requests to use thousands of gallons of Corexit per day.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Some Centerville students are helping make the holidays a bit brighter for some local families.
Dr. Ewing said below freezing temperatures and prolonged exposure to the cold could also cause frostbite.
Varnado said on December 8, just four days after the truck stop's opening, her fear became reality when a hired armed security guard shot and killed a trucker. As of now, no charges have been filed as police continue to investigate.
Interstate 70 is closed following a crash involving several semi trucks and a car at the 31 mile marker, near the exit for the Dayton International Airport.
The U.S. Air Force will cut its workforce by 900 positions in order to meet demands of a trimmed 2014 budget.