BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio (WDTN) - Seven people are living elsewhere after a fire rips through a Bellefontaine apartment.
Bellefontaine fire crews were dispatched late Saturday night to the 300 block of Shady Lane on reports of a fire. When they arrived, they found a fully engulfed apartment fire that started in the kitchen due to unattended cooking.
The fire was on the first floor and quickly spread to the outside causing significant damage to the back of the apartment building as well.
This past week was Fire Prevention Week, in which this year's focus was kitchen fires. According to officials, 40% of all residential fires are caused by cooking.
All the residents of the apartments were out of the building when crews arrived. No one was injured in the blaze.
The American Red Cross was called in the help the families displaced by the fire.
The fire is estimated to have caused between $20,000 - $30,000 worth of damage.
A 29-year-old Farmersville man is dead after he was attacked Friday at the downtown RTA bus hub.
Fifty names were read as families mourned their loved ones who were victims of violence.
"Eugene Gall needs to spend every single day of the rest of his natural life in the penitentiary," said Prosecutor Mat Heck.
We're looking into what it takes to become a security guard in Ohio.
The U.S. government ended up losing $10.5 billion on its bailout of General Motors, but still says the alternative would have been much worse.