WKRN web staff - NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – As the country celebrates Veterans Day Friday, a field of honor is on display in Hermitage, Tennessee.
The display is at Andrew Jackson's Hermitage on the eastern part of the property.
A thousand flags make up the field of honor was organized by the Colonial Flag Foundation.
The foundation sets up fields all across the country and are sponsored by loved ones of living vets and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Volunteers spent hours placing the flags with yellow ribbons on the poles Thursday.
"This is so important for America. Veterans have given the ultimate sacrifice, a lot of them have and this is just a wonderful tribute to current and former veterans that we can honor them and tell them thank you," said field of honor chairman Desha Hearn.
The field opens at 2 p.m. with an opening ceremony and will remain open to the public until 2 p.m. Sunday.
2 cars, 3 bodies removed from...
Trump lauds firing of ex-top FBI...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Trump lauds firing of ex-top FBI official as ‘great day'
- Amber Alert canceled after 4-year-old Sandusky boy found safe, mother arrested
- Fallen bridge: 'Stress test' preceded collapse that killed 6
- US military helicopter crashes in western Iraq
Witnesses on scene describe the crowd as "rowdy". People are standing on the roofs of porches, throwing objects, and broken bottles are lining the streets.Read More »
The OVI task force will have extra patrols out for the rest of the St. Patrick's Day weekend.Read More »