The People's Chef, Anthony Head, cooks up some soul food in the Lifestyle's Kitchen. Watch to find out how the Chef prepares it so you can enjoy this in your kitchen.
West African Chicken and Peanut Stew
· 2-3 pounds of bone in, skinless chicken legs or thighs
· 3 Tbsp peanut oil
· 1 large yellow or white onion, diced
· 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
· 6-8 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
· 2-3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
· 1 15-ounce can of crushed or stewed tomatoes
· 1 can of tomato paste
· ~1 quart chicken stock
· 1 cup roasted peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
· 1 Tbsp ground coriander
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste (can also substitute hot sauce)
· Salt and black pepper to taste
· 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro or sliced green onion to garnish
· Optional: Add 2-3 cups of spinach or collards or kale
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed or large soup pot set over medium-high heat.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces, season well with salt and pepper. Add them to hot oil and cooked until browned. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Sauté the onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Add the ginger and garlic, coriander and cayenne pepper, sauté for 1-2 minutes constantly stirring to avoid burning the garlic (which will make it bitter)
- Add tomato paste and coat all the ingredients in the pan.
- Add Chicken stock and peanut butter and mix well. Add tomatoes and sweet potatoes; stir well to combine.
- Fold in chicken, and cover the pot and simmer gently the chicken meat easily falls off the bone and the sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
- Garnish with cilantro or onions and serve over rice
Yield: Serves 6-8
Snowfall reports vary across the Miami Valley as the storm continues to produce heavy snow, making it hard for drivers to see in some cases.
The National Weather Service canceled the Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisory just after 9:30 pm.
Sinclair Community College is closing all campus locations for the day due to the inclement weather.
A listing of events and activities that are closed, canceled or postponed due to the effects of today's Wintry Blast.